The Libergs of Rosenfors story

- The making of iron items and corkscrews

At the end of the 1700 century, a small smithy shop was established near Eskilstuna close to a canal. The canal was build to support trade in the region around lake mälaren in Sweden. This shop expanded it's business and was mid 1800 aquired by a competitor company. Jointly the companies took the name Rosenfors. Rosenfors is nowadays a suburb to Eskilstuna, the main smithy and steel manufacturing town in Sweden during the instrustrial era.

 

The company also had their own water power supply. The photo to the right is taken inside the power plant. The persons are probaly not the Libergs but establishes the proudness of blue collar workers at that time. Lined up in strict formal clothing this photo day should be remembered in style.

 

In 1861 the brothers Bernard and Oscar Liberg bought the premises and started up the mining activities again which had declined since the beginning of the 1800 century. Local natural iron was introduced as main resource in the production of knives, axes, carpenter irons and lots of other items. The Liberg story is very similiar to the one of Heljestrand.

 

The company was a major manufacturer in Eskilstuna by that time and was very successful due to imported German craftmanship. However, the owners must also have been to England to study smithy practices since Libergs produced a bell assisted direct pull corkscrew and introduced it into the Swedish marketplace. Sweden and England has so much in common established for the last two hundered years, not only concerning the withdrawal of the cork.

 

The older brother Bernard Liberg passed away 1902 and Oskar in 1936. The family did not seem to have any successors to the company. The company was acquired by Eskilstuna Jernfabrik in 1921. The production in the premises ended 1957 and the estate was again sold to an external company. This company produced items for the world wide industrial company Alfa Laval who was their main customer until 1980. Thereafter, manufacturing was moved abroad.

 

However, the facilities are still present as are the past productions including corkscrews, scissors and irons. Pieces of knifves, irons and such are common. However, a marked Liberg of Rosenfors corkscrew is quite rare.

 

Plaese find below some pictures of the premises as of december 2012. The premisis are still functional, now harboring a number of small businesses. A new era of entrepreneurs.

 

 

The height and blossoms of Rosenfors. The industrial premises in 1879. The premises are large and must have been impressive. Please note the main building, the foreman villa and the side building in the picture.

 

 

 

The side building. Probably one of the smithy shops during the height of Rosenfors.

The main building today. Quite and silent. The lawn in front is situated exactly as in 1879. An era all gone but still remembered.

 

The foreman villa close to the production facilities as of december 2012. The photo is taken from the right end corner.

A bell assisted direct pull CS by Rosenfors.

Rosenfors mark, B & O Liberg. Rosenfors had a rose as trademark but not stamped on to the corkscrews. Bernard and Oskar ( B & O ) were significant participants of the Swedish industrial era.

B & O Liberg mark on a propeller CS. The Libergs did have a wide range of products and the mark on corkscrews were not common.